Saturday, March 13, 2010

The new kid in town

Well, I guess the third time's a charm after all. Or maybe I was just being indecisive, but at any rate, I bought a used 5D this morning. It was the third used one I'd found on craigslist and gone to check out. It was also in the best condition out of the three I've seen. And if the shutter count is as low as the seller says it is, I think it was an excellent deal.

Here she is, in all her glory (photos courtesy of her little sister, the 350D):



So there you have it. The newest member of my camera family.

And though I obviously haven't shot much with it yet, I don't regret not waiting until I had the money for the Mark II -- life's too short to sit around waiting for what you really want. Plus, if I never aspire to make money from photography, I would have a really (really!) difficult time justifying the price of that camera. As badly as I would love to have it, I think it just costs too much for me. So I'm incredibly pleased that second-hand 5Ds are going for such a reasonable price -- I've finally gone full frame, and it didn't break the bank!

It's funny though, like they say, when you buy better and better gear, you can no longer blame your photos' shortcomings on it -- if I take crappy photos, it's likely my fault. :) (Not that that wasn't true before.)

I'm also hoping to shake the upgrade bug now. I have an excellent cam and two excellent prime lenses. If I can't make some magic with all of that, then I guess I'm not a magician :)

In fact, I'm running outside now to take some photos of my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment