Saturday, February 27, 2010

5D classic

Have these two photos from yesterday morning. Tried out a used 5D at Caribou Coffee, and when I got home to look at my test photos, I thought these two were actually kind of neat-looking.

This one's at ISO 400 with my 85mm @ f/1.8, 1/2000 sec:
























I'm wondering which one looks better. This one was at ISO 1600 with the 85mm at f/1.8 and 1/8000 sec. (I was kind of testing ISOs.)






















I think the man stands out better in the second one, but I like the visible bank of windows on the first one --- I think it turned out better. Love the black and white conversion for these.

Some may say the "dark masses" on either side of the man are regrettable, but I like them. I think they, along with the B&W conversion, show a sense of isolation. Maybe I'm just trying to talk a crappy photo into being better, but it really does appeal to me.

As a side note, I tried out my sister-in-law's flash, and after reading my manual again, I don't think it works on my cam. Kind of a bummer. I also think I'll let my husband sell her 100-300mm lens. I might hold on to the 35-80mm for now.

2 comments:

  1. I am saving away for a 5dMK2 (or whatever comes next). I'm ready to make the leap to a full-frame digital camera, especially after shooting my lenses on an older Canon rebel film camera.

    I like the two shots you got in the cafe, but I think I like the first one better than the second. I am still drawn to the highlighted man in the first frame, but having more visible around him makes the whole scene tell the story a little better than him being framed by the two dark shapes in the second.

    nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! After testing the 5D classic and the 5DII, I don't think I can justify the price of even a used 5D without being depressed that it's nowhere near as good as the MkII version in low light!

    Maybe they'll come out with the 5DMkIII soon, and you and I can snag discounted MkIIs :)

    ReplyDelete