Friday, February 12, 2010

Canon AE-1 Program

My mom has been shooting digital for a while now, but I was reminded the other day of her old camera, a Canon AE-1 Program, bought in 1984 for $219. I can't remember if hers is black & silver, or all black, but at any rate, it looks like this:






















I called her up and asked her if she'd bring it to me next month when they visit. She said she would, and I am so excited.

I'm interested in experimenting with it a bit because I've been thinking a lot about full-frame DSLRs lately, in all of my obsession about upgrading from my 350D. I have no idea what it feels like to shoot with one -- people talk about the DOF being better, etc., but I have a feeling that there's just a different kind of atmosphere about it that people like. And I remember my mom's pictures with the AE-1 Program looking so gorgeous, and not for any particular reason.

This isn't the best example, but it's one of the only ones I actually have on my computer --




















About three years ago, I scanned in a bunch of our old photos from when we were kids -- I'm on the right, here, and that's my mom and brother.

What I would love to do with this cam is put in some black and white film and just take a roll of portraits. I just have this feeling that it's the perfect film camera for portraits. I also think it wouldn't be too bad at some landscapes. Ken Rockwell says to use it in "Program" mode (a.k.a. "professional," a.k.a. "auto"), which I believe is how my mom used it. It will be tempting to mess around a bit, though, and see what I can see, but now my photos will cost something, as opposed to the free digital images I've been so used to.

I won't have it in my hands until the end of March, but I'm doing some research now in preparation.

(And no, I haven't forgotten about my new 85mm. We're traveling this weekend, and I hope to find a few chances to use it the way I want to use it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment