Monday, March 15, 2010

5D's maiden voyage

It rained all weekend. In fact, it's still raining. So to satisfy my urge to try out the beautiful new 5D, We had a mini-photo shoot in the house and in the stairwell of our condo building. I'll edit to post the settings when I get home -- forgot to get them out of Lightroom.



These were all taken with natural light (perhaps that's obvious), and I'll admit that the first one isn't oriented as well as it could be. But it was really the only option in our small living area (& with all our furniture!). That's why we decided to move to the hallway, with its big window. The second photo here is my favorite.

The camera works great. It is amazing how much it dwarfs my 350D, though. It's bigger and heavier, but not too big, or too heavy. It will take a little getting used to, though. I could practically stuff the 350D + 50mm in my purse and go, but the 5D will take a little more planning.

But I think it will be worth it. I'm enjoying how wide my 50mm is with the full-frame sensor. I'd still like a wider angle prime, though. Now I'm wondering if 35mm would be wide enough; before, I was convinced I wanted the 24mm. I think the 35L is cheaper than the 24LII ($1400 vs. $1700), so I guess it's something to consider... several months from now when I'm prepared to make another purchase :)

I'm very satisfied now. Can't wait for more chances to use the 5D.

No comments:

Post a Comment