Friday, March 19, 2010

Experiment: Lens flare

This is my first real attempt at a photo with some artistic, hopefully appealing, lens flare. Here we go. With my 85mm, f/2.5, and a shutter speed of 1/400. ISO 100:

I found that if I pointed the camera down at his legs (a darker area), and found a general shutter speed to start at that way (in M), I could fine-tune it once I pointed the camera up and took a few frames. That way the front of him wouldn't be underexposed or in shadow.

I'm sure there is a better way to do this (something with metering?), but I haven't really learned about it yet.

Something that I did have a little trouble with -- and am not sure I got quite right -- was the post processing of this kind of image. To this one, I added a decent amount of contrast, I desaturated it a tad (like, -5) because I thought it fit the mood, and I may have upped the saturation of the orange colors a tiny bit. I just wasn't quite sure how "clear" I should try to make it.

I also realize that this photo is not a super-awesome example of artistic lens flare, but I think that has a little bit to do with my scowling subject! I am grateful that he lets me take so many photos of him in the first place without complaining; I don't dare try to pose him too often :) I am picturing a much better scene on the beach or in an open field, with a laughing girl or woman, something a little more carefree and happy to go along with this lighthearted look. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for an appropriate model, haha.

A couple more in 16:9 aspect ratio for fun (I'm still giving 16:9 a chance) (and desaturation! A two-for-one deal!):


No comments:

Post a Comment