Thursday, June 4, 2009

Composition



Here's a question: How was I able to take photos like this -- a scene with fast movement, shot in the rain from the bank of the river -- with my 3.2 megapixel Canon point-and-shoot?

Granted it's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good considering the circumstances. And actually, now that I'm looking at it again, I think it's the composition that makes me like this photo so much. I love the four people in black sitting on the bench, and I managed to get them with their oars skimming over the water, which is neat (even though you can see that they're not completely in sync -- a-hem, on the left).

I think composition is actually what I like most about photography. I can appreciate lots of different types of photos, but a macro of a flower with vivid colors and an interesting focal point --



-- will just never appeal to me as much as a photo like this:



Granted that last one is a NatGeo image, and I stalk their website for gorgeous photos all the time, but the giraffes are just more interesting, which is how I want people to describe my own photos.

I also want to note that I found the flower macro via Microsoft's new search, Bing. Does anyone else feel like it's pretty much Google incarnate, with a more interesting landing page? I must say, though, there are a couple of things about the image search that I like -- when you click on an image, it shows you the website that the image is from along with the bar across the top, like Google does, linking you back to the search page, but it also shows a bar across the left side, showing you the image results vertically. Pretty nifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment