Saturday, March 6, 2010

Experiment: 16:9 aspect ratio

In my regular (okay, obsessive) internet frolicking on photo sites around the net, I ran across this guy's Flickr and came to understand the appeal of 19:6 aspect ratio.

So, I experimented with a few photos I snapped today at a parade (mid-day, bright sun, bad shadows... beware!)...

Now, if only I could figure out how to get the black borders top and bottom...

It's a format that works well for crowds and makes my 85mm look wider:

A a few cute (if hesitant) parade participants:

Not the best subject matter for this format, but I think these three work okay. I have another photo in mind that (I think) would scream for 16:9. It needs to warm up before I can make it happen, though, since it involves standing on a windy overpass at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment