Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Come onnn, Feb. 9

Canon is supposed to make some announcements on February 9 about new DSLRs coming out this year and new lenses/upgrades.

I cannot wait.

First I thought I definitely wanted a 135L. Then I thought I wanted the 16-35L. Then I thought I wanted the 35L. Then yesterday, I was sure that I had decided on the 85 f/1.8. I decided to write this post because tonight, I seem to be wandering back over to the 135L camp.

I have a growing prime lens addiction, and I really want to see what a Canon "L" can do. I think my dilemma might be between quality and useful focal length. I was pretty sure about the 85 1.8 because it seems like the right next prime focal length for my kit; I think the 85 would be a nice prime for street portraits. However, I have read more good things about the 135L image quality than I can remember. And that little "L" is taunting me. I wonder what it can do for me?

My goal in the future might be to have the 35 / 85 / 135 combination. (Putting aside for a moment the fact that I've already "messed" that up with the 50 ;) ha!) Another consideration: If I stay with crop bodies, is that the best trio for me, or would it be better on full frame? If I stay with crop, could I do the 35 / 50 / 85?

Oh my.

Well, here's a shot I took on the street with the trusty 50:































I like this shot. However, it's about a 2/3 crop from the original photo, maybe 3/5. An 85mm focal length would have gotten me closer right out of the camera, right? Should I care that I can't afford the 85L? Should I go ahead and invest in primes that I can afford, figure out what focal lengths are most useful to me, then upgrade them to Ls as I get the money?

I'm too tired from that to even talk about camera bodies. 60D? Fast-forward thirteen days, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment