Thursday, January 14, 2010

More street scenes

I tried my hand at "street" photography for a second time yesterday on my lunch break. Although, these photos should probably be categorized as "architecture" since they have few to no people actually in them :) I'm still scared to get in strangers' faces with my camera. The first photo below is one of the only ones with people in it. Settings are ISO 100, f/5:



















I liked the symmetry of the two figures on the L and the R. I would have taken the frame down to the sidewalk if I could have, but I was shooting with my 50mm, and when I backed up enough to get the sides and the top of the building in the frame, there were two parking meters right in the bottom center of the picture -- where the door is. So I cropped those out because they were ugly.

I also had no idea how the white of this building would look. I think I've done okay, but I don't really have much to go off of other than my own eye. As I said, I took these on my lunch break, so it was about noon, and the sun was high, clear sky. That light isn't excellent for most photography.

Here's another store front. There are some really interesting-looking (& colorful) buildings in Old Town.
Settings are ISO 100, f/5:






















I think I may have gotten a little out of control when adjusting the red tones on this one. It's so hard to tell what a photo actually looks like when you're moving it from program to program, where colors are rendered differently. I had no idea what this would look like on the web.

Ah, well -- excuses, excuses, right? I processed all of these in Lightroom (the beta). I'm trying to remember to use Lightroom instead of DPP from now on because I want to decide if I'm going to buy the full version when the beta is yanked. I do like LR... I like the amount of control it gives you, even if that sometimes makes it difficult to know when to stop adjusting! And it has the "straighten" tool, which DPP doesn't offer for some reason. I use it a lot :)

Also, a Wish List update: I may have changed my mind about what lens I want next. I really want to replace that kit lens, no matter when I get a new camera body, so I might go for the EF 24-70 f2.8L next. It's currently $1,277 on Amazon.com. I'm hoping to get it before March if I do end up going to NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment