Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tried the 75-300 IS

Over the long weekend I went out picture-taking with my friend Katie, and we switched lenses for a while to see what the grass was like on the other side. She tried my 50 prime, and I tried her 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS.

It was my first time shooting with a lens with IS. I rather enjoyed the reach -- it was so strange and wonderful to be able to get up close and personal with people really far away. We called it the "paparazzi lens." We just went down to Old Town on a sunny day, and here's what I found.

All of the photos are at ISO 100. This was zoomed all the way to 300mm, at f/7.1. I like the bokeh in this shot (thanks to 300mm!):



























So we walked down to the waterfront, which was really busy since it was such a nice day. This little family was so cute. I love the mom looking at her guidebook magazine. Also zoomed to 300mm, f/7.1:
























Okay, last one. I like the idea of this photo. I do think it's bordering on the edge of creepy, though. And no, she's not in her house -- she's in a restaurant! The big seafood place down at the waterfront. So, it's kind of stalker-ish, but I like the idea that she's framed, literally, in a window frame.




Overall, I enjoyed using the lens. There were definitely lots of moments where I wanted a wider angle, but I did like the reach. It was amazing how close I could get. But that long reach really makes composition difficult. I'd see a nice scene on the other side of the street, and by the time I got the camera to my face, a car had pulled up and blocked my view. Or a bus. I found cars to be really annoying on this particular "shoot." I guess that's a potential problem with all street photography, but if I'd been using my 50mm, for example, I would have probably been shooting on my side of the street much more often. And actually, there were several instances when I was using my 50 but I still wanted a wider angle.

I'm still waiting for the Feb. 9 Canon announcements to decide what lens I'm getting next.

No comments:

Post a Comment